Sunday, January 10, 2010

What is Your Favorite Song to Write to?

What is your favorite writing song that you listen to over and over for inspiration? Is there a particular lyric to that song that makes it your favorite to listen to? Does your song have a particular meaning or memory associated to it?

My favorite song:
Bittersweet Symphony
by The Verve
I love the mixture of sounds, the beat and the lyrics.

Favorite lyrics: "It's a bittersweet symphony, that's life. You try to make ends meet, you're a slave tomoney, then you die," and "I let the melody shine, let it cleanse my mind, I feel free now."

I like the lyrics because they are brutally true.

I think the main reason why I like this song is because it reminds me of the year I lived in Chester, England. It was 1998, just after this song came out and swept the charts. It was the year that my oldest daughter was born, and I remember listening to it in the car on the way to the hospital to check on my wife. (23 hour labor, and the nurses made me leave for a while. My children are a big inspiration for my writing. So I guess that is why I like to listen to this song when I am writing.

To listen to the song and watch the video click on the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx3m4e45bTo

1 comment:

  1. I'm one of those folks who write to the sounds of silence (LOL) -- real silence. I've tried to play music while I work, but I end up in a singalong and lose writing focus.

    ReplyDelete