Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Lesson From Moving


I moved our family to a new home last week.  We sold our house and moved to a smaller home.  Even thought I hate the moving process it was a good time to go through a lot of our stuff and de-clutter.  I made several trips to Good Will and donated some nice things, that we have not used in a long time.  It felt good to give those things knowing that someone might buy them and put them to good use.  I also filled our giant garbage can with stuff that was broken or of no use to anyone. It was nice to get rid of the junk!

It is amazing how much stuff you can build up over six years of living in one place.  It felt good to get rid of the stuff that was just lingering there. It was a "forced" cleansing, as the place we moved to couldn't fit everything we had, but the late nights were worth it.

It was also good to get into the new place and organize everything again.  It is like putting your whole life back into order.  It feels good to start the new year in a new place.

Writing, to me, is a lot like the moving process.  It allows me to get my thoughts, feelings, and emotions out. It allows me to get rid of the old and move into the new.  When I write a blog post, an article, a page, or chapter in a novel feels like a fresh start for that moment, or day.  My mind is more clear and I feel better.

Writing allows me to get rid of the junk in my head, and hopefully my words will be put to good use by someone who reads them and takes something out of what I said.  If nothing else, I got everything out of my head and am starting fresh.  Just like moving.

What is something you do to start fresh?

No comments:

Post a Comment